Sunday, March 28, 2004

Today is Sunday.

Jax had his first (and second) t-ball game yesterday on the soccer field (?) of a nearby school. It was so cute to see the teams playing. I took him to the first game. Between the first and second game (back-to-back but a 30 min break inbetween), Stephen arrived with Cars and Dex. Dex stopped to play on the playground 50 feet from the field. Stephen, Jax and I were talking about the previous game then suddenly Dex was gone. Like that - gone. Stephen and I were searching frantically for him then Stephen dashed off to the other field to look for him. I stayed behind, afraid to leave Jax and Cars. I called out "MY SON IS MISSING!". I felt like I was going to faint. I didn't know what to do. A couple moms rushed over and asked "what is he wearing? what does he look like?" I said he had blonde hair, a blue jacket. That is all I could get out before I started sobbing. Nice to know I do well in emergencies.

Then, far off, behind the portables at the school I see Stephen dash out with Dex. I felt a huge wave of relief and let out another sob. I said "My husband found him". One of the moms gave me a hug. I made Dex sit on my lap during the next game. He was mad and wanted to go back to the playground. Never again.

The worse part of this is that I have been critical lately of someone who seems to be chronically letting her children play unsupervised. Karma has come back to bite me in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment