Thursday, March 18, 2004

I cut my finger, just below the knuckle, on the lid of a Campbell's soup can today. Not just any can but the specially designed pop top ones. I have a hell of a time opening those cans and today proved to be no different but this time it popped back and sliced my finger. Blood gushed everywhere. I could not believe that such a small cut could produce that much blood.

I wrapped my finger in a paper towel and went to the bathroom to get a bandaid. I put a Harry Potter bandaid on (it was a "Harry" - what luck!) and went back to the kitchen. By the time I took those 15 steps the bandaid was saturated and was leaking. I went back to the bathroom for another one (a "Hedwig" this time). My how my finger bled.

Back in the kitchen, I finished putting together Jax's lunch. My finger and the bandaid was leaking again. I decided as I replaced the bandaid ("Hedwig" again) that I was going to call and complain to the Campbell's soup company. I struggled opening those damn pop top cans everytime but this was the final straw!

I called the 800 number on the can to speak to a representative. I explained that I had sliced my finger on the not-so-easy to open can because they are hard to open and wanted to let them know.

"Ma'am, do you require medical attention for that wound?"

"No, it is just a cut that is bleeding but I just wanted to complain that the cans are hard to open."

"Ma'am, are you certain you do not require medical attention?"

HUH? Yes, I was certain I told him. I just wanted to complain and comment that I certainly could not be the only one in the world who cannot open the damn cans. He then said he would send me a refund for the can. Again, I explained that I didn't want a refund, I just wanted to complain! He said he has not heard of anyone complaining about the cans before. I found that hard to believe. Anyway, I finally agreed that he could send me a refund for the soup as long as he ensured that someone would know that the damn cans are hard to open.

Hours later I went to their website and found a Pop Top Lid FAQ A-ha! Apparently I am NOT the only one who has problems with the cans. Hell they have even developed a tool (Pop N' Pull™ Tool) to help people to open the cans since you cannot use a regular can opener on them.

My finger finally stopped bleeding this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment