Thursday, January 04, 2007

Friggin' Dell

My hard drive failed and the right button on the palm rest broke so they sent a hardware guy out to replace them. The problem is that the hard drive is brand new and of course there is nothing loaded on it. No operating system, no software that I had already paid for when I bought the laptop. I am mad! The hardware guy says that these hard drives rarely fail (hmmm, I did not get that impression reading the forums on the Dell website) so they do not send the OS or drivers Cd's automatically anymore and it saves Dell money.

So, I call Dell and am on hold off and on for an hour while "Ed" tries to figure out what disks I need. He finally narrows it down to 5 and tells me I should receive them in 3-5 business days. I asked him to expedite it and he says he cannot because they only expedite if they do not ship in a timely manner (HUH?!). I asked to speak to his supervisor and Ed tells me that the manager will say the same thing. I told him that they did not ship in a timely manner because the guy I originally communicated with on December 30th should have had the disks sent out with the hard drive and palm rest. "Oh, I had not thought of that. I see what you are saying" and he puts me on hold again for 10 minutes as I wait for the manager. He comes on the phone and apologizes for the problem and says they will send the disks expedited but they will not go out until tomorrow because we missed the day's mail cut off - by 10 minutes! Aargh!

Now, I have to wait until I receive the disks, reload all of the software myself, then load the other programs I had installed, reconfigure my mail program and wireless network and hopefully get back to where I was before. And, on top of it all, I forgot to delete all my old files and cookies off the old hard drive so I need to change all of my passwords on all of my accounts!

Dude, don't get a Dell!

No comments:

Post a Comment