Saturday, November 04, 2006

Old Grey Mare

It has now been 1 year (well, 360 days) since I last coloured my hair. Ok, I did get some low lights done in May but I am talking all-over colour. It is funny that I don't think the pictures of me show just how grey I am (see upper left for recent photo - click for larger). A lot of the grey is on one side - the right - and more along the temples. It is funny that the hair on top is darkest.

Anyway, I am still miffed that my mother told me that I need to cut my hair if I am going to keep it grey. Really, there are more and more women out there going grey and keeping their long hair. I see pictures of models in the jjill and Chico's catalogues with long grey hair. So clearly there have to be real women out there with grey hair who do not want short hair, right?!

And why am I so bothered by this? I had no qualms about it until my mother made those comments. I have endured one whole year of grey roots, way past grey roots and now, half grey hair. My plan was to grow in the grey then cut shoulder length as soon as the grey was long enough, then grow it again to the length it is now. I have been second guessing this decision now. I mean I don't want to colour my hair again (although I do have brunette envy whenever I see women with hair colour that I used to have) but is it really wrong to want to have long hair when it is grey?

Thinking back, when I worked at IBM and I was young with only the odd grey hair or two, my friend and I used to make fun of Jane, a manager who had waist-length salt and pepper hair. We used to say she looked like a witch. Now my friend and I both have long grey hair (she is still colouring)and I wonder if people think that I look like a witch! Eep!

So, what to do. What to do? Colour or cut. Or nothing. What to do...?

No comments:

Post a Comment