Thursday, October 12, 2006

We have had such gorgeous weather the last few days. It is quite chilly in the mornings but it warms up to the low-70's during the day. The sky has never been bluer and not a cloud in the sky. We have spent long afternoons at the park afterschool, enjoying the sunshine before the 6 months of rain and gloom arrive.

Today I also had a roofing company come and give me a quote on gutters. Actually, I already had the quote from them but the guy came out to try to please a very unhappy customer. The guy is Cute Roof Guy who sold us our roof back in 2004. I received a letter from him last month stating that they had a deal on gutters (10% off!) and to call their new office. So I called made an appointment for someone to come out. They said New Roof Guy would be out and I said "Fine" but I did wonder why Cute Roof Guy wasn't coming.

Anyway, on Monday, New Roof Guy calls and tells me he is stuck in traffic and will be about 15 minutes late. Hmmm...traffic? Coming here? There is most definitely traffic leaving our plateau, heading to Redmond and Seattle but not really any traffic coming this way. He showed up *1 hour* late. Fortunately, I did not have anywhere to go but I was irked.

New Roof Guy: What are you looking for?

Me: We had our house painted and Painter said we needed new gutters so I called for a quote. Cute Roof Guy had sent me a letter about the sale price.

New Roof Guy: Cute Roof Guy sent you a letter!? So why am *I* here?!

Me: Uh, I don't know. I called the office and they sent you.

New Roof Guy: (exasperated sigh) Cute Roof Guy has all of the measurements for your house then so I am NOT climbing up on the roof to re-measure.

Me: Okaaaaay...

New Roof Guy: I don't know why they sent me *all* this way.

Me: Sorry that it was a waste of your time (not sure why I apologized because it was not my fault and by this time I was getting mad at him for being so rude)

New Roof Guy: I will have Cute Roof Guy call you with a quote.

Me: When can I expect to hear from Cute Roof Guy?

New Roof Guy: (walking away) Later today.

Ok, I was miffed. But I thought I will hear from Cute Roof Guy later today. Besides, we had re-pounded in the spikes in the gutters and they probably would last another year so it wasn't urgent...

So, fast forward to Thursday night, just after 11 o'clock. I was thinking about the gutters and was really irritated that I did not hear ANYTHING from the Roofing company, New Roof Guy or Cute Roof Guy. So I thought I would email the owner of the company only I could not find his name online so I just sent an email to their general email account. I didn't care if I did not hear back from them but I was going to let them know I was peeved. I mentioned that it was not my fault that they sent the wrong person and here it was 4 days later and still not quote. And that I felt I could no longer recommend them to friends looking to replace their roofs.

Friday morning, at 7:45am the telephone rang. It was the roofing company calling to talk about my email. The caller apologized and asked that I give them another chance and is there any way that Cute Roof Guy can come out to my house to give me a quote. I explained again how disappointed I was in their service and agreed to let Cute Roof Guy provide me with a quote. Also, within the hour, I had an email from Cute Roof Guy with the quote.

The next day, I received a hand-written card apologizing again. They said that my experience was not up to the "gold standard" that they normally provide. Enclosed was a $10 Starbucks card.

Today, Cute Roof Guy came out and was trying hard to butter me up. Said he loved the new colour of our house. Apologized again for the mix up. Said it was all his fault. Basically said I could get the 10% off anytime, not just if I booked it this month.

And after all that, we probably will not replace our gutters this year. Stephen thinks we can wait until next year. So, I will let Cute Roof Guy know that we will wait and in the meantime, I will take the kids to Starbucks for hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment