Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tonight at school there was a 4th grade recorder concert (ouch - my ears!) run by the music teacher. Earlier today, after the kids had practiced, he asked that each kid leave their recorders behind in a box. Jax was concerned about his touching others or someone accidentally taking his so he told the teacher that he was not going to leave it behind because of his peanut allergy and someone might accidentally use it but he promised to bring it back for the concert. The music teacher, Mr. Music Teacher, said "I smell peanut butter". Jax looked at him and then Music Teacher told Jax and other kids who were standing around "I love peanut butter".

Jax told me this as soon as he got off the bus today as we were walking home. I asked him to repeat the story and as he did, I started seething. I was so friggin mad! So I told Jax that bullies come in all sizes and unfortunately, even teachers can be bullies. I said what Music Teacher had done was incredibly mean and unkind. I was shaking because I was so mad and I said that I would have Stephen talk to the teacher after the concert because I did not think I could control myself if I tried to.

By this time we reached the house and I decided that this could not wait until after the concert so I called the school (it was twenty minutes after school let out). I told the secretary that I needed to speak to the music teacher and he came on the line a few minutes later.

I told him that Jax had told me what had happened, and the man started backpedaling saying that he honestly thought he smelled peanuts and maybe it was just because Jax had mentioned peanuts (they were in the music portable so where would there be peanuts?!). Then he said other kids came over and said they liked peanut butter so he said he liked it too. He is so full of shit. I told him that Jax has had enough troubles with bullies and peanuts this year that he did not need to be bullied by his teachers too. He started gushing "No, that was not it! Really, I like Jax. He is a pleasure to have in class!".

So then I knew for sure he was lying because Music Teacher and Jax butted heads last year (I think I blogged about when Jax did "the worm" and shook the whole portable and the teacher yelled at him saying he had driven him over the edge). For a refresher, read here and here.

The teacher said he would talk to Jax and explain himself. After we hung up, I told Jax what the teacher said and Jax said that he did not think he was telling the truth.

After the concert (which Jax had a recorder solo - quite a surprise), I asked Jax if the teacher had spoken to him. Jax said the teacher told him that he had had peanut butter pancakes a few days before and was wondering if he could still smell it and that is why he said it.

Ok, so the man is so full of shit. I am angry now because he lied AGAIN. And of course he assigned Jax the solo just before they were to go on stage. Trying to atone for being an asshole, I guess.

At book club later this evening, I retold the story and one of my friends, who is a teacher, told me I should document this - send him an email and copy the principal. Stephen wants me to just drop it - that this guy knows we have his number and we won't have any more problems. I don't know what I should do.

Do I email or let it drop? What is reasonable at this point?

And this post is getting very long but I need to add one more thing...

I blogged earlier this week that Dex had a solo in the 2nd grade play and that the music teacher told me and Dex's teacher that he had volunteered for the solo but Dex told me he was assigned it. This guy has a history (in my opinion) of lying. That was perhaps a little lie but a lie nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment