Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summer O'Fun Day 6 (2008)

So I had some overripe bananas and thought it would be great summer time fun to bake banana bread. I had three eager sous chefs so perfect, right? Except that the recipe only calls for *2* eggs, and no one wanted to be the one to mash the bananas when they could pout over not being able to break an egg into the bowl. Then a very helpful sous chef decided it would be much easier for me if he HELD the measuring cup as I was pouring in the sugar rather than let it sit STILL on the counter.

Fortunately, the recipe called for 2 cups of flour so I used the 1/2 cup measuring cup so we each got to put in one 1/2 cup. And, 2 tsp of baking powder was again measured by the 1/2 teaspoon so there was enough measuring to go around. I had three mini loaf pans which of course meant that the sous chefs figured that there was one for each of them. Um, no. They were actually fighting over whose pan was filled more!

My blood pressure was up a bit but then I started to laugh about it all and thought that it was not worth getting all irritated. They really wanted to help and Dex even offered to wipe the counter afterwards (and he even was able to wipe up all of the spilled egg and sugar!).

They were thrilled with the outcome (who doesn't love banana bread?) and it made it all worthwhile.

The rest of the day was filled with me weeding and watering the garden and then suffering an allergy attack. I am definitely highly allergic to something in the garden. And I finally clued in that all my fatigue this past week has been from Benadryl. Doh! I was ~thisclose~ to popping some Zyrtec but I am still ticked about Dex's tics so I will not take it myself out of spite. What a crazy reason, eh?! Meanwhile I have $40 of the stuff sitting in my kitchen cabinet.

Tomorrow we are going to a park to meet some other parents and kids from the local Food Allergy support group. There may be another 10 yr old with a peanut allergy so I am hoping that Jax and he will connect. Oh, Dex wanted me to make him a new PEANUT FREE shirt so I should try to find my t-shirt transfer kit. Off to do that now...

No comments:

Post a Comment