Saturday, December 04, 2004

A little excitement around here the other night with the county SWAT team surrounding our neighbour's house for hours. Found out later that he had threatened his neighbour with an axe because he thought his neighbour was having an affair with his girlfriend. Go drink some more, buddy.

I mailed out my swap ornaments. Finally! Now I can start my Christmas cards. I did not sign up for any card swaps this year. And I am trimming my card list down. To quote a great online friend "WHACK!".

Horribly Embarrassing Moment of the Year (or possibly of the decade!):

Dex talks about "Evan" day and night. Evan is in his preschool class. I do not know who this kid is exactly but Dex spends every moment at school playing with him and talks about him all the way home. At this preschool, the kids are dropped off/picked up from the driveway so I have never met Evan or his mom.

Three weeks ago, Dex receives a birthday invitation for Evan. Great, I think to myself. I will finally meet Evan and his mom. I call and RSVP - leave message that we will be at Evan's party. Party starts at 1pm today. At 11:45am today I look at the invitation and realize that they live right near Jax's school. Hmmm...I didn't remember that from looking at the list from the first week of school. I pull out the class list and Evan's last name/address is different from the invitation. WTF?! If it is not the same Evan, who is this birthday Evan? I have no frigging clue. None.

So I at 12:03 - 57 minutes before the party, I call and identify myself and ask if this Evan is the Evan from New Preschool Name. No, Evan's mom says, it is Evan from Old Preschool Name. I draw a blank. I don't recall any Evan. I don't say a word. She prompts me. "You know, Evan as in..." She rattles off other names in the class. I don't say a word because I cannot remember. Long silence. Suddenly, it hit me! The kid whom Dex has never, ever, ever, ever spoken about. Ever. He and Evan had been to a couple of the same birthday parties and playdates at another kid's house. I am mortified and embarrassed! I rush to explain that Dex plays with this new Evan everyday at school and talks about him constantly and I had just ASSUMED that this was the kid whose party it is, blah, blah, blah as I stumble and fumble my way through. (BTW, I planned to spend the whole duration of the party there with Dex - not like I would be dropping my kid off at a total stranger's house). My face is red again as I write this.

I want to crawl into a hole. I don't want to go to the party. Stephen tells me I must go now. I tell Dex we have the wrong Evan. He does not recall another Evan. Shit! I whip out the class video from last year. No class photo on the cover. I pop the tape in the machine and fast forward until we see Evan. Dex says he remembers him now (good!).

Anyway, off to the party we go. As I am walking up to the house, a friend of mine is walking out after dropping off her son. Dex is happy that her son, his friend, is there. As we enter, we see two more of his buddies from his class last year. And there was Evan, whom, until an hour ago, we had both forgotten ever existed. I apologize once more and don't know what else to say. Evan's mom is gracious. I decide not to stay since no other parent has and I do know Evan's mom (we had chatted twice a week for a year while we dropped off/picked up our kids so you'd think I would remember!). Also, I am sure I was ~still~ blushing from embarrassment. I rush outside to meet up with my friend. She invites me to join her to go to Starbucks to pass the time. I agree (not only to chat but mostly so I would not have to show up alone to pick Dex up when the party ends).

Now to top it all off, Evan has a dinosaur birthday. Almost identical to Dex's party last May (to which the three other little boys at the party had been invited). As I am gathering Dex, one of the little boys says to his mom "I have a hat like this already from Dex's birthday - I don't want another!". We wished Evan a happy birthday again, thanked Evan's mom then rushed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment