Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yesterday, Jax told me that some kids teased him at recess about his allergy:

Kid1: I know you - you are the kid with the peanut allergy!
Kid2: Ooooh, peanut butter finger [pretends he has pb on finger and wipes it on Jax's arm]
Kid3: I had peanut butter and jelly for lunch [leans in close to Jax's face]
Jax: Did you really have peanut butter?
Kid2: Just kidding!
Kid3: Just kidding!
Kid1: [walks away]

Ok, so Kid1 did not actually tease (or bully because that is what I am calling it) but he did not have to point that out to everyone. Kid2 was in Jax's class in Grade 2 and while they were never really close friends, they were friendly back then. Kid3 has never been in his class before but she is in the same grade.

Jax said he was very shocked that anyone would do that to him and he was scared because what if it were true. How incredibly mean of those kids!

I had decided after reading those articles about peanuts and bullying that we were going to take a zero tolerance stance on bullying so I immediately emailed Jax's teacher to report it and to ask her what will be done about it. I won't go to the principal yet. I have also decided that at the 504 Plan review in a couple of weeks we need to address how situations like this will be handled.

I imagine there will be more of this in the coming years, especially in middle school. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment