Saturday, February 10, 2007

I was in Dex's class yesterday teaching Art Start (we studied "People, and Dogs with Sun" by Joan Miro). Almost half of the class were out with the flu! We've been lucky that we have not had it yet this year (both Stephen and I had a flu shot) but I guess it is just a matter of time before Dex gets sick and then the rest of us do. In fact, today at Costco, Dex insisted in sitting in the cart (big part)and he fell asleep. He feels a little warm now and is lying down. :\

This morning I volunteered at the church for the youth group's "spa day". It was so fun seeing these teenage (and tween!) girls coming in and being all teenage girly and silly and having them oooh and aaah over the make up and spa stuff. And then - this is silly too - I got all choked up because I won't be able to do that kind of stuff with my daughter because clearly I don't have one. I cannot believe the feeling of sadness that came over me. The only other time I felt this way was when I had an ultrasound when I was pregnant with Dex and I knew that the baby was a girl and I felt a genuine sense of loss when they said "there's a penis!". I never had the same feelings of loss when I found out that Cars was a boy (perhaps I was just expecting that news by then?).

Anyway, I know I'll have these feelings again and I'll get over them. I was just so surprised at the sense of loss. Silly, isn't it? Especially when I have three lovely and healthy boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment