Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I think I have lost my Canadian accent. I guess it has been happening for a while. No one every asks me anymore if I am from Canada. Funny enough, they will ask about Stephen - seems he has kept his. And I just caught myself saying "Bahb" instead of "Bob" (Cars is watching SpongeBahb Squarepants). I actually even cringed a little when I realized I said it. I know it is pronounced Bob, not Bahb so I have no idea why it came out that way. I managed to pick up the Minnesotan way of saying "five" when I lived there too.

One word that I most definitely have not Americanized is "Mom". Now, I know I spell it Mom but it is pronounced Mum.

A couple of people tell me that they can peg me for a Canadian when I say out and about. I most definitely do not pronounce them oot and aboot as many Americans think Canadians do. I think that Canadians just clip the sound and do not stretch those words out as Americans do.

One thing I just cannot Americanize though is my spelling. It's colour, honour, neighbour, odour and centre (ok, that one I will change occasionally). I distinctly remember being lectured in Grade 3 that COLOUR is not to be spelt COLOR and that we were not Americans so we could not spell it COLOR. Of course there is an exception. When I email the teachers, I Americanize my spelling. I don't want them to think I am dumb! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment