Friday, August 18, 2006

Summer O'Fun 2006 Day 45

This morning it was very chilly in the house. It definitely feels like summer is ending. I am worried that it won't be warm enough next week to take the kids to the water park. We did not make it last year for the same reason. Next summer, Stephen definitely needs to take vacation earlier in the season.

Nanny came today and I went back-to-school shopping for clothes for the boys. I went to Fred Meyer then headed off to the factory outlet stores in North Bend. I found some great deals, especially on Stride Rite shoes for Cars. OMG, I will never buy my kids shoes at Nordstroms again!

Stephen told me last night that there is a huge re-org going on at work. He said it would be a good time to consider moving back to Toronto. WHAT?! He said he is going to have a great review/bonus so he could take that and find a job with Big Software Company in Toronto. Otherwise, he is digging in his heels here and his career will grow. But, he said, it was up to me. Completely my decision. That is so not fair!

I have lamented sometimes about moving "home" but mostly it is about seeing family and friends. I don't actually WANT to move to Toronto. First of all, Big Software Company is not actually located in Toronto but in a western suburb so we would not be able to live close to family (the east end or east of the city). Nor could we live where I want to live (uptown) because the commute would be insane. We'd live in someplace like Acton! Is it worth the drive? (inside joke for any Torontonians).

Next, I hate-hate-hate the winters in Toronto. They are cold and wet and grey and slushy. At least when we lived in Minneapolis, wile the winters were cold, the snow was not slushy and we would have wonderfully clear blue skies (there are no clouds when it is 40 below).

Toronto summers are horrible too. Hazy, hot and humid. The skies are not blue then either because of the smog and pollution, which leaves a grey/yellow haze floating over the city. Complete migraine weather. Ick!

Don't get me wrong, Toronto is a great city! So many things to do and see. My history is there - both good and bad. It is "home", it is definitely not my home anymore. Nor do I want it to be. I am not sure I could say that with as much certainty 2, 6 or 10 years ago. Of course when I moved to the States 13 years ago, it was with full intentions of moving back to Toronto when Stephen finished his PhD. It did not work out that way but that is fine. Move now?! No, it is not that easy. Not what I want. However, if he said "Let's move to Vancouver", I'm in! ;)

In the meantime, we need to have a serious chat before we make any life-altering decisions here...

No comments:

Post a Comment