Monday, August 14, 2006

Summer O'Fun 2006 Day 41

Last day of golf for the boys. Dex has decided he wants to play in the tournament next Monday. I will have Stephen take him (afternoon tourney, dinner at the golf club).

I spent the majority of the day doing mountains of laundry that was generated from our camping trip. At times like this I wish I had two washers (or a cleaning lady to do it!). Cars watched Star Wars and napped.

Last January, I wrote about the mom of one of Jax's classmates who has a form of dementia (H.). Her son was in Jax's class last year and on his baseball team. There were some odd moments from I. during baseball season and at school. Including the day in June when she drove into Ash's car and drove away laughing about it. Ash was very upset (understandably) but mostly from the point-of-view that perhaps H. should not be driving. Well, on Friday while we were packing up our van for the trip, and Ash had stopped by to drop off dry ice for the cooler, H. was walking by and stopped in to say hello. She told me that it is official, the doctor told her she is not allowed to drive anymore. I feel so badly for her...and her sons, especially the one in Jax's grade because it is a long walk to school otherwise. I cannot commit to driving him everyday but certainly I can do it once/week or something. Anyway, I will call them close to the start of school and offer to drive when I can.

Then she went right up to Jax and said "You know my brain is atrophying, right? Well, now the doctor says I cannot drive". He looked at her and nodded. I know he knew because her son had told Jax and her son was in the Leadership/Friendship class that Jax was in. Jax told me that they made her "Get Well Soon" cards in that class. Not sure why the guidance counselor would think that was a good idea when H. clearly has a chronic condition. One of the symptoms of her disease is inappropriate behaviour which I think her behaviour was on Friday (and when she told Stephen something back in June that we really did not need to know). It is so sad and also scary to know that these kind of diseases can happen and there is no known cure or even treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment