Thursday, August 03, 2006

Summer O'Fun 2006 Day 34

A quick review of the week... Monday was golf (I posted about that). Tuesday, we went to the locks and watched some boats go up and down (love those big barges and tug boats). Then we visited the fish ladder and saw them tagging and measuring salmon. The highlight for the kids though was rolling down the large grassy hill.

Wednesday morning we left bright and early and drove to Vancouver. We met my cousin and her family at Science World. The kids enjoyed it but I thought they would be wowed by the "LEGO®: Secrets of the Pharaohs" exhibit but they really did not care about it as much as the adults did!

Then we left and checked into our hotel. Because we decided to stay overnight just a couple of days before we went, and it is summer time (high tourist time), I could not ask my brother to get us a discounted room at a Starwood hotel. So, I just booked it on expedia.com. He did ask me to send him my confirmation number though and he had us upgraded from a double room to a two-bedroom suite!! It was fantastic! Two bedrooms, a kitchen, two bathrooms, a sitting room with a couch, chairs and a dining table. Plus we were in the north side of the north tower and had an awesome view of the Celebration of Light fireworks. We met up with my cousin and her family as well as Jean-Paul and Marilyn for dinner and then we went back to the hotel to chat.

It was fun although later in the evening, a short, heated discussion about my relationship with my sister ensued. Both Jean-Paul and Killjoy have mentioned several times over the past couple of years about me not speaking to my sister or being mad at her. Excuse me but she does not speak to me so I have chosen not to call her because, as I have mentioned before, there is only so much rejection I can take. So, I made it perfectly clear (in probably a bit of a raised voice), that it was not me, it was her and I would be perfectly willing to talk to her if she would ever pick up the phone when I called. Which she never does. And there you have it.

Ok, so I was writing about how great our trip was and now I am talking about my sister rejecting me...not what I wanted to do.

Soooo, anyway, today we went to Granville Island so the kids could buy a toy and then we met Jean-Paul for lunch because his work is located on Granville Island. Then we left, stopped at Safeway to stock up on Canadian potato chips, Canadian Cheez Whiz, Pea Butter, and peanut-free Smarties.

Our drive home seemed endless because of a long delay at the border and then we hit rush-hour traffic in both Everett and then right here close to home. I think it took us 5 hours from the time we left Granville (we did stop at the grocery store and for two potty breaks) until the time we arrived home (it should be a 3 hour trip).

Anyway, it was great to see my cousin and her family. Her kids are great (as is her dh) and it was nice to see them again too. I feel spoilt because I have seen her 3 times in the last 16 months (vs just once in the three years before that!). And it was nice to see Jean-Paul and Marilyn too. We used to see more of each other however, since they bought their house, they spend most of their weekends working on it.

Tomorrow I will be frantically trying to prepare for Cars's 3rd BURR-dee PAH-dee (as he calls it). I still need to make a Captain Jack Sparrow bean-bag toss game and a pin-the-eyepatch-on-the-pirate game. Oh, and shop and clean and order balloons, etc.

Off to get some sleep so I will have energy for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment