Monday, September 29, 2008

The third week of school, we had Curriculum Night where parents met with the teachers to understand what is expected of their children this year, the curriculum for each class and any other information. Because we have three kids in the school, we got to be there for all three sessions (from 6pm-8:40pm). I signed up for volunteering (it all has to happen on either Tuesday or Thursday afternoon because I am being selfish with my time!).

Anyway, the last session we went to was for Cars' kindergarten class. The teacher went through her packet of information and opened the floor up to questions.

Parent A: My daughter went to a Montessori preschool and she learned to write in CURSIVE. Must she go back to PRINTING?
Teacher: Yes, we teach D'Nealian Handwriting and expect the children to become proficient at it.

Parent B: I want information about any "Highly Capable Program" so we can look into getting our daughter into the program.
Teacher: The program starts in First Grade and is called "Quest". Testing takes place in the New Year. I will give you the number of the program contact at the school district.
Most Parents: [waiting with poised pencils]

Parent C: Our child is reading already. Is she going to be dragged down by the other children in the class who aren't?
Teacher: Children will be working at their own levels once we test them all individually. We assess their reading levels using the "DIBELS" assessment which is also used as the determining criteria for Quest testing.
Parent C: Who is the contact for the highly capable program again?

Stephen: Cars is still asking for help in the bathroom at home. Can you tell me if he is wiping his own bum at school?
Teacher: Did you really think he was ready for kindergarten?

Ok, Stephen did not really ask that question but those other questions were asked. Apparently most parents in the class thinks that their child is gifted. This is a completely different attitude than we encountered in half-day kindergarten (although there were a few parents like that there too).

Also, I feel like I am at a bit of a disadvantage about getting to know the kids and parents too since Cars takes the bus to school. With Jax and Dex, most of the parents stood around outside of the kindergarten classrooms waiting for the kids to be dismissed so we would get to talking and get to know one another. However, I don't have that with Cars because of the bus. I have been picking him up on Wednesdays but mostly I was intercepting him at the bus but now I've set it up to make it official that I get him over by the kindergarten gate. Maybe I'll get to know the parents a little better and try to figure out which child is the cursive writer and figure out who all of the gifted kids are too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment