Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The driver is trained to administer epi pens so onto the bus the kids went this morning! Hurray! Of course, I then jumped in my car drove to the school to spy on the kids to ensure that when their bus arrived, Jax and Dex would walk Cars to his classroom lineup outside and wait with him until there were a few other kids there. They did a great job!

I went home and read the newspaper, had a cuppa tea, went to the club to work out and stopped at Target on the way home to buy my oldest some DEODORANT! He suddenly has become so stinky. I noticed yesterday after school. He says that he has noticed that his armpits smell a bit after he plays wall-ball. I bought him some Tom's of Maine Deodorant (unscented) because I did not want him to start using antiperspirant yet. Anyway, we'll see how he smells tomorrow after P.E. Oh, and OMG my baby is growing up!

Oh and speaking of my baby...I read "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch (good Canadian author) to Cars tonight. You know the one with the song in it:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be

Ok, so my cousin gave me a copy of the book just after I was married and wrote that she hoped one day I would have kids and that I would love the book. This book totally creeped me out! What kind of psycho mother would drive across town, break into her son's house and rock a grown man while he slept? The creepiness of the book was reaffirmed in my mind when, on a visit home, my MIL told me that it was one of her very favourite books. ICK! Typical "mother of boys", I thought. That will so NOT be me. No way.

So, I think over the years I have read this book to my kids exactly twice. Once to Jax and once to Dex and so I thought, to be fair, I will read it to Cars before I get rid of it (garage sale next week). I cracked the book open (it is virtually brand-new although I've had it for 13 years) and started to read. By the time I got to the page about how the little boy grew and he grew and he grew and then he was a teenager, I could feel the tightness in my throat. Then I even teared up when the mom drove across town (still friggin creepy!). However, the waterworks started when the mom calls the son to say that she is old and sick and he has to come see her. I was almost sobbing! Poor Cars was looking at me and then he put his hand on my arm. I could barely finish the book. I closed it and said "I don't like this book" (but now for a very different reason) and he said "I don't either. I don't want to read it again". (ok, I am all choked up just writing about this!).

So, I still don't like it. However, I will admit that it is less creepy than I used to think. Who knew it could make me cry? And, I have put it back on the bookshelf. It will not be going to the garage sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment