Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day of School Part II

Good thing that we are not taking the bus because we would have missed it this morning. The driver came five minutes early. I will have to make note of that once he is Epi Pen trained and the kids get to ride.

So, Cars' first day of school went well. I showed Jax and Dex where Cars lines up and made them swear on their skateboards that every single day they would ensure that he gets into line after getting off the bus. Cars was very, very quiet today which made me think that he was nervous. When the first bell rang, the teacher came out and promptly handed each parent a piece of paper with a poem on it that I could not read because I suddenly had tears in my eyes. They filed in and Cars did not look back. I walked quickly to my car and burst into tears. Wow - that was unexpected. I mean of course I am sad that he is in kindergarten and won't be with me all day or for half days but I have been so looking forward to this "me time" (or vacation as I have also been calling it) that I really did not think twice about being that sad. Yet there I was, crying in my car as I drove home.

Also, I am not nearly as terrified of his allergies at school as I was of Jax's when he started kindergarten. I guess because Cars is not allergic to peanuts and I don't imagine any kid will bring in walnut butter or pecan butter (I don't even think anybody even makes that). So no little smears of deathly butter to worry about. I have confidence that his nut allergy will be a non-issue at school. He will not eat snacks that others bring in (he has his own "safe snack" box at school for birthday celebrations).

And as for Jax's 504 Plan, the letter went home today. I sent a note to the principal and school nurse and they found out that the teacher did not put it in the packet as she thought it would get more attention going home with her regular communications on Friday. I can understand her reasoning but the point of it is to alert the parents of the allergy ASAP and hopefully any of them with a heart will not send in pb with their kids. Of course the kid sitting next to Jax today had a pb sandwich. Jax seemed to take it in stride (the kid did not tell him until after he ate it) but we'll see if that sets him back a bit on his anxiety level.

Dex is just as easy-going as usual and he is happy that a lot of his good friends are in his class again this year. He is striving to be the class clown and I have already lectured him about it. *sigh*

Here are some photos from the past two days:

From Fall'08
From Fall'08
From Fall'08

No comments:

Post a Comment