Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Today I followed a van along a two lane road for about 5 miles (with a double yellow line so no passing allowed!) and the van would "speed up" to 35 (the speed limit 'though many people usually drive 40) then slow back down to 29 or 30 then speed up, then slow down, etc. It was driving me crazy! I was thisclose to calling the police to report a drunk driver but it turned out that it was just an old lady driver. A very old lady. Even when we both turned onto a larger road, where the speed limit was 40, she was still only driving 30! Aargh! Fortunately, it had two lanes in each direction so I was able to pass her (while still driving under the speed limit) and told her to eat my dust! Ok, I am going to admit that I am intolerant of old drivers. Seriously, they scare me and drive me crazy! Old lady drivers usually go about 5 miles under the speed limit and weave all over the road. Old men are aggressive drivers, run through amber lights, never let you in and don't use their signals.

My mother is the worst kind of old driver. (Actually, she was a bad young driver too!) She sits way too close to the steering wheel and she drives under the speed limit. She brakes too soon and ends up stopping for red lights about 5 car lengths from the intersection (too far back to trip any static loop to change the lights). It is maddening!

And when you hear of people accidentally mistaking the gas pedal for the brake and end up ploughing through a plate glass window of the nearby Subway, pharmacy or paint store, you can be sure that they are at least 80 years old. It is tragic and sad. Why are these people still driving?

Someone, please take my license away from me if I become an old lady driver. For safety's sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment