Monday, March 17, 2008

I went to the school this afternoon to have a conference with Jax's teacher. His report card was so-so. It ran the gamut between "approaching standard", "at standard" and "exceeds standard". For the most part though, I know that he can do better and he is just not motivated in class. Several other parents have commented to me recently that their children are not either and while I am loathe to blame the teacher, she sure is serious and Jax (and others) find the class boring. One of the comments on his report card was that he needs to find "appropriate time to share his sense of humor with others". I asked her for specifics and she said that really she thinks he is just trying to lighten the mood in the classroom. Well, all work and no play...

So, I asked her to work on motivating him in the classroom and we will do the same at home. And he needs to read more AR books (I swear this is the bane of our existence in this house, especially non-fiction AR books - on the library's website, you cannot get a separate list for fiction and non-fiction).

We also briefly discussed Jax's issues with peanuts (his compulsive thoughts) and I explained how we have him in counseling and to remind her that if he is being inattentive, it is probably him obsessing about peanuts. I am still wary of getting an official OCD diagnosis on his 504 Plan for now.

Anyway, let's hope we see some improvements in the future.

Oh, and Dex asked why I did not have a conference with his teacher. Spring conferences are "optional" and I had to word things just so to not insult Jax nor Dex. Dex is doing well but he needs to "use his time more wisely when he finishes his work". He said he wanders around the classroom looking for stuff to do when he is done and cannot just read a book because it always takes him too long to pick one out. We've decided that he will chose chapter books to keep in his desk to read and to keep him busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment