Friday, November 28, 2008

BookList 2008

There are just a few weeks left in the year and I don't know how much more reading I will get done. I did not reach my goal of reading 24 books this year but I came close, especially considering that two of the books that I did read were over 900 pages and a third was just shy of 900.

Pez's 2008 Book List

  1. A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffet, 460pp

  2. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez,348pp

  3. Mrs. Mike, Benedict Freedman, Nancy Freedman, 284pp

  4. Three Cups of Tea : One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time, Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin, David Oliver Relin, 368pp

  5. Letter to a Christian Nation, Sam Harris, 112pp

  6. Letter from a Christian Citizen, A Response to Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris, Douglas Wilson, 112pp

  7. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Lisa See, 288pp

  8. The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch, 224pp

  9. The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett, 973pp

  10. Digital Fortress, Dan Brown, 384pp

  11. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen, 350pp

  12. Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry, 960pp

  13. The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss, 896pp

  14. Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer, 768pp

  15. The Constant Princess, Philippa Gregory, 400pp

  16. The Mermaid Chair, Sue Monk Kidd, 368pp

  17. March: A Novel, Geraldine Brooks, 304pp

  18. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, Barbara Kingslover, 384pp (did not finish)

  19. When We Were Romans: A Novel, Matthew Kneale, 240pp (did not finish)

  20. How to be Good, Nick Hornby, 320pp


The two books that I did not finish had to be returned to the library because there were holds on them. I will probably get them again some other time to finish them.

I thoroughly enjoyed virtually every book that I read this year. Five of them were non-fiction (and all ready for Book Club).

Speaking of Book Club, December marks the start of our 5th year together. I think that is very exciting! We've had a couple new members and one left (well, a second left then came back) but it has pretty much been the same core members. There are a few things that drives me nuts about it (a couple of members miss every other month and another almost never reads the book) but we always have good discussions though lately they seem less and less about the book and more and more about life. I guess that is how it works and it reminds me a lot of the very first book we read Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons. I love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment