Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tonight was a "Mom's Night Out" for my mom's club and we went rollerskating. There were only 5 Moms who showed up. The roller rink we went to had "Adult Skate" starting at 8:30pm. I was wondering how many people might be there and I was expecting maybe 30 people. I mean, how many adults are going to go rollerskating on a Thursday night? Well, let me tell you, apparently there are a lot! I am sure there were over 200 people there and it was crowded on the rink!

It took me no time to get used to skating again even though I have not had rollerskates on my feet in over 20 years (I hadn't skated regularly since I was 15, I think, but Ramona and I went rollerskating when we were 21 and that was the first time I was ever called "ma'am").

There were a couple of songs where a big group of people got in the middle of the rink and did some dance steps. I laughed at that but then realized it was not a lot different than what we used to do. Also, it was nice to see that a lot of the same skating moves were still around after all these years. Another thing that surprised me was that I was not the oldest person there (well, some looked older than me).

Tonight brought back a lot of really fond memories of rollerskating at Centennial Arena. Ramona and I would head out and meet our friends there and skate the night away. I always had a 10pm curfew but skating ended at 10pm so we could not stay until the end. I never dared to be late home or else my mom would ground me (and she would ground Ramona too!) and we would not be allowed to go the next time. We would leave at the latest possible moment and rollerskate home. It was about a 15 minute skate home at full speed. We would even bumper hitch (well, car handle hitch) at times and let cars tow us home. (OMG, I would die if my kids ever did something that stupid!).

So, I did have fun tonight. The blisters on my feet are proof!

No comments:

Post a Comment