Sunday, May 11, 2008

Peter asked me to write about my book club discussion on "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris and "Letter from a Christian Citizen" by Douglas Wilson. I had mentioned that we had one agnostic in our group but she said she is probably closer to an atheist than agnostic. She let us know before the discussion began that she loved and respected us all and hoped she would not offend. She did not. Overall the discussion was pretty tame. Spy says I had a heated discussion with Ash but she and I took it more as a passionate discussion (regarding survival of a species vs survival of the fittest). In any event, Sam Harris' "Letter to a Christian Nation" was an interesting read. However, I found him to be a little hostile, angry and condescending. Not exactly something that will make me want to "listen" to him in a scientific way. He also talked a lot about Islamic Extremists a lot in a book written to a "Christian Nation".

Douglas Wilson is an Christian and a Calvinist. As a Calvinist, his beliefs are much different than mine. He freely admits that he is a Creationist which I know many Christians, including myself, struggle with the believe of creationism or evolution or intelligent design.

So, no profound discussion. No one's opinions were changed. I enjoyed reading the books to have an opportunity to challenge and reinforce my thoughts and beliefs. What I love about faith is that we can doubt and we do not have to have all of the answers. I think that belief in God is not a black or white, all or none proposition. I don't think that we have to "prove" there is a God nor do atheists have to "disprove" it.

And, onto to Mother's Day. Stephen made me a most excellent meal (rib eye steak, baked potato, grilled red peppers and sugar snap peas), I ate a lot of chocolate and I got to play Tetris for DS (kids and Stephen bought me Tetris and BrainAge2 - as well as a DS that needs to go back - *I* do not need one when there are three others in the house). Jax made me some jewellery, Dex made me a glazed ceramic heart and Cars made me a little sachet. Homemade gifts are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment