Monday, October 08, 2007

My son is having a hard time managing his anxiety around his peanut allergies. I am just sick for him because he is now making up stuff to worry about. Today, he was wondering if he should not eat his lunch because he touched the hand of someone who had eaten peanut butter for breakfast. Both Jax and the other kid had washed their hands (the boy before he even touched Jax) but Jax still could not shake the idea that he might have peanut protein on his hands. The teacher finally convinced him to eat his lunch by holding his bagel with a napkin and eating his grapes and carrots with a fork. He even brought home his Smarties because he could not figure out a way to eat them without touching them. *sigh*

I have some ideas about how to work with him to try to overcome this and also to alleviate his fears. I pray it does not get worse. It breaks my heart to know he is so worried about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment