Thursday, October 02, 2008

How sad is this? I made dinner for the second time this week (rather than just "assembling" dinner) and Stephen is making a big deal about it. It is actually a little embarrassing how rarely I make a "real" dinner. I made souvlaki on Monday(with homemade tzatziki!) and tonight it was chicken with broccoli pasta (broccoli, garlic, butter, onions, pasta and parmesan cheese).

I rarely make nice dinners for a number of reasons. First, the kids won't eat them. Cars and Dex were fake gagging when they tasted the pork souvlaki the other night. For tonight's dinner, I kept some broccoli and some pasta out of the sauce because I knew they would complain. Dex actually ate some of the pasta with the sauce so I do appreciate that. Then they complained that I did not keep enough broccoli out of the garlic sauce (yes, my kids all love broccoli!). I cannot win.

Secondly, with Jax's appointment on Tuesdays, there is just no time to make dinner. So Jax and I get dinner together and then take the long drive to his appointment. Stephen takes Cars and Dex out to dinner those nights. They definitely win as Jax and I are limited to either eating something really quick or something that is portable.

Wednesday nights, Stephen works late and is not home for dinner. So, I am not going to waste my time making something special that all of the kids will not eat. So Wednesday nights we usually have tacos, pasta and (frozen) meatballs (no tomato or marinara sauce because the kids won't eat it), or Kraft Dinner. All meals that are pretty much just heating and assembling.

Friday is always pizza night.

And Stephen always cooks on Saturday and Sunday nights because he likes to do it and he is a much better at cooking than me (or is it I?).

Anyway, after not really cooking all summer long, and with the kids at school all day, one of my goals is now to have yummier dinners on Mondays and Thursdays. I may even try for Wednesdays if I make them kid-friendly. Let's see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment