Thursday, May 04, 2006

In Over My Head

Why is it that everything always comes to a head at the same time on the same day (or close to it?). This is always the busiest time of the year for me and I always forget by September or whenever and commit to doing too many things that all end up occurring at the same time.

First Thing: Mother's Day tea and MOPS and I had volunteered to decorate our table. I bought pretty blue flowered paper plates and napkins for our table and a new blue (plastic) tablecloth which I spend 1.5 hours hot-gluing blue flowers onto until the wee hours of the night last night (word to the wise - hot glue MELTS plastic tablecloths and it burns skin very quickly!). The party store where I bought the paper goods also had these pretty blue flower-shaped lollipops so they were a nice touch to the table.

Second (and third and fourth) Thing(s): Art Start Museum Night. What a HUGE PITA. HUGE! I spent this afternoon while Cars napped creating name tags for the kindergarten class' Art Start projects (granted, I could have done this sooner but I knew I would have the time today so why not wait until THE LAST MINUTE?). After Cars awoke, we rushed to the school to put up the art. Ash watched Cars and Dex as the park for 1/2 hour while I put the art up (Jax was on a playdate). Except after 30 minutes, I was no where near done. The only thing I was near were tears! It took ONE POINT FIVE HOURS to put everything up and that was with HELP! I did Jax's class fine (it took 30 mins to tape up coloured butcher paper and then the projects) but then I had to the same thing for friggin *40* kindergarten classes and then glue on name labels (I was stupid not to have done this beforehand).

Anyway, I had to call Ash after the 30 mins and tell her to drop my kids off at the gym (she was just at the park beside the school). She came down and started helping me which I really appreciated. Then a really sweet couple (their dd is in Jax's class and they go to my church) came over because they were done putting up the art for one of the other classes and they spent 30 minutes applying pieces of tape to the art projects so I could just slap them up. OMG, I was soooooo grateful for their help. And like I said, that took 1.5 hours! I had NO idea that we would have to put up the butcher paper borders ourselves (we are talking two 4x8 feet sheets and two 4x12 feet sheets).

Fifth Thing: First Communion classes for Jax. Ok, no stress for me, right? WRONG! I realized he had not yet done his homework for the class. Also, because of the time of the class, we had to have dinner a little earlier. I was so exhausted and ready to drop that instead of driving home after dropping him off, I sat in the car and read a book. It was heavenly! A friend from book club, whose dd is also taking the classes, did the same thing. Ok, it seemed indulgent, spending 1.5 hours away from everyone and just reading reading reading, but really I was doing it to save money because the price of ga$ is nuts (at least that was my excuse to Stephen). ;)

So, this fall as I am signing up for school volunteering, MOPS volunteering, Religion classes and Little League for spring 2007, I will remember this day and hopefully have the sense to at least chose things that will not all culminate at the same time.

Now it is 10:30pm and instead of going to bed since I am exhausted, I am writing a very wordy blog entry. Ok, off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment