Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ever Vigilant

Nestlé Canada has issued a recall on Snack-sized Coffee Crisp bars because these "peanut-free" and "Safe To Share" bars which are made in a peanut-free facility "may contain peanut protein which is not declared on the label." W.T.F.!

(*edited to add that this is virtually the only chocolate I let Jax eat*)

Apparently one person has had a reaction. These chocolate bars (aka candy bars, my American friends) are made and sold in Canada. However, we often buy them when we are in Vancouver, or my brother brings them down or my mom mails us boxes and bags of them.

I called Nestlé's 800# listed on the allergy alert but because I live in the USA I was routed to the Nestlé USA and they were next to useless with providing me info. Then she told me that I could not even call Nestlé Canada because I lived in the USA. I said I understood that I could not call them via an 800# but they must have a direct line and she told me they did not. Riiiight.

So my mom, who lives in Toronto, called and Nestlé Canada told her that the factory is indeed peanut-free. They are trying to find out what happened and how peanut protein got into the bar (if in fact it was there - they are currently testing samples from those batches as well as the recalled product that went out to stores). Their suppliers know that the factory is peanut-free and sign agreements that what they supply is free from peanuts/peanut protein.

So, now what do we do? Do we continue to eat their peanut-free products? Do we wait to see if it was a supplier problem? If so, how do they guarantee it will not happen again? How does anyone guarantee their products will only contain the ingredients listed on the label? Do we give up eating all processed foods because clearly you can never be 100% safe/?! It is distressing and depressing.

One good news item about peanut allergies is this:

Toronto researchers have found a clue in the blood of people killed by peanut allergies that could help identify those most at risk of a fatal reaction. Click for details.

Jax has his semi-annual allergist appointment in two weeks. I hope his allergist can give us some news about the status of peanut allergy treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment