Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I haven't posted about this yet because I haven't want to jinx things but I am getting pretty excited so here goes...

I am going for my US Citizenship interview very soon! Wow, it has been a long time coming. We've lived in the States since '93 but under various visas and a green card. And five years ago today my green card was issued so I am officially eligible to be interviewed for American Citizenship.

I get so nervous when I think about the interview and I don't know why. I guess because this is something that I really want and I am worried that I might get denied. For no other reason other than that it is something that I can worry about, if you know what I mean.

I have been studying for the Civics test that I need to take (I am certain I will pass the English part!). There are a couple of questions where I seem to have a complete mental block. There is a pool of 100 questions and the Immigration Officer will ask me 10 of them and I have to pass 6. And while some of the questions are tripping me up, others seem "duh" to me - like how do people NOT know that (What is the name of the current President of the United States? and How many stars are on the flag?). I am sure I will not get any of the easy ones!

Watching the Olympics this past week and half has made me realize too that this will be the last time I watch as a Canadian. That is a little emotional for me. I mean I will have dual citizenship but once I am an American, I will cheer for my "home" country which is the U.S. of A. Canada, of course, will always be in my heart though.

And if I become, or maybe I need to be more positive and say, when I become an American Citizen, I am looking forward to being able to vote in an election. As the daughter of a politician, it has just KILLED me that I have not voted in an election since I left Canada. Unlike the USA, a Canadian citizen cannot vote in a federal election if they are abroad (unless they maintain a primary residence in Canada or something like that). I like that American Citizens can vote no matter where they live. That, to me, is a great right.

America has been very good to us and I hope, should I pass the interview, to be a proud American. I love my American children, my American friends and my American home.

No comments:

Post a Comment