Tuesday, March 28, 2006

So we finally settled on a windows guy. This was a friend of a friend and he owns his business and runs it out of his home not too far from here. His bid was competitive (ok it was cheaper than the others but he was not installing Milgard windows like the others - he said this window brand was good but not as expensive because you are not paying for the name). He gave me a list of references and they were all GLOWING.

Oh, and he is handsome.

So, I decided to go with him. Handsome Window Guy come out with his window installer to get precise window and patio door measurements and he brought his window installer. The installer said "This door is not a $tandard $ize". I looked at Hand$ome Window Guy and a$ked him what that meant. They discu$$ quickly knocking out the drywall to fit a $tandard $ized door in but quickly di$mi$$ it because of the addtional work (drywall, $iding, electrical). Hand$ome Window Guy then $aid that would mean an additional co$t. We all $tood around looking at each other. Hand$ome Window Guy apologize$ profu$ely. He now realize$ why hi$ bid wa$ lower than most of the other$. We $tood around looking at each other $ome more.

Finally I a$ked "Exactly how much more?". He $aid about $600. I blinked. I $tared. He $aid he would eat the co$t of $ome of it $ince it wa$ hi$ mi$take. I blinked. I $tared $ome more. $o he $aid he would eat the co$t of half of it $ince it wa$ hi$ mi$take. I a$ked him to $ign the bid, $tating that we would pay an additional $300 and he would pay the balance. Hand$ome Window Guy'$ in$taller mumbled $omething about $800. Hand$ome Window Guy winced. I quickly do the math and agree that $800 is probably right, compared to the other bid$ I have received (and subtracting any co$t of a name-brand window).

If Hand$ome Window Guy had not come so highly recommended, I would have told him I had to think about it and then had hired one of the other bidders. I hope I do not regret my decision. We'll know in two weeks or so.

Oh, and my mom arrived safely tonight. Jax stayed up late to greet her. Dex tried but he was too tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment