Friday, June 10, 2005

5 Seconds of Fame

Yesterday I went out and enjoyed the sunshine. Dex, Cars and I walked to the park to meet Jax after school and I let the kids play for ages. We did not get home until 4:30 (I left the house at 2!).

While at the park, I was speaking to a friend who is a doula (we met because Stephen and her dh are on the same management team at MS). Anyway, we got on the subject of breastfeeding and she told me that one of the commentators, Ken Schram, on KOMO4 had made some stupid comments about breast-feeding in public and at the end of his commentary, the anchorwoman at the station called him an "Idiot" (click here to hear it or here to read his transcript. If you watch the video, wait until the very end to hear her comment.

Anyway, after bookclub last night, and two glasses of red wine, thank you very much, (for the record, I did not drive), I went out to view the video. I was so outraged that I decided to email Ken Schram and tell him just what I thought of him.

Here's my letter (not my finest moment):

You compared breastfeeding a baby with urinating in a cup in the mall? My God! You are a moron! Here's news for you - no one cares that *you* find it "impossible to switch from breasts as something sexual to breasts as take-out-food". Most women who breastfeed their children do it discretely. If you don't want to see it don't look! Didn't your mother teach you not to stare?

Pez
My City, WA


I really did not expect to hear from the jerk but I felt good writing it. Then I emailed the anchorwoman to let her know she was alright! :)

This afternoon, one of my bookclub friends emailed me that she had heard what had happened on KOMO4 so she had gone to the website to see what the fallout was and lo and behold - Ken Schram had compiled some comments from "thousands" of emails he had received and he had taken a sentence out of mine and used it in his latest commentary. Ken Schram Commentary: Modesty Is A Moot Point. Then the 5 o'clock news he read his commentary (and he pronounced my name wrong!). You can hear the audio by clicking on "Hear Audio Report" under his lovely mug.

So, that was my few minutes of fame today. Not even a full 15 minutes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment