Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Our drive to Vancouver and back was completed in 12 hours. We stopped and shopped for an hour and we stopped for lunch and dinner. We spent a couple of hours at Jean-Paul and Marilyn's too. Anyway, the drive was fine (it was a nice day) and the border crossing was quick and uneventful except when some guy with a suitcase approached the US checkpoint and 5 border guards came running up to him. That border crossing is unique because you can walk across the border there but the guy obviously did not see the signs that directed pedestrians to enter on the other side of the building.

Today I taught art class in Jax's class. We studied The Gleaners by Jean Millet. Then the kids drew pictures of themselves doing a chore or some work. It was fun to see what they came up with. The power was out at the school (and our house) so it was cold and dark in the classroom.

Just as I arrived Jax was just about to present his poster on Canada. He spent two weeks doing this project which took hours to do. He had to chose a country from his heritage and it was painful to get it done. I honestly thought it was too much work and too much to expect from Grade 2 students. Anyway, Jax talked about Canada and described his poster as his teacher lit it up with a flashlight (remember, no power). He was so cute and it was fun to see him remember to add some detail after reading what he had written. At the end, one kid pouted "You talked about all the things I was going to talk about!" (His parents are from Canada too).

After the art class, school ended so I went to pick up Dex and his teacher says "Dex, tomorrow you will be a better listener, won't you?". Oh shit, I thought but then she assured me it was the whole class and it was mostly due to the fact that the power was out except for the last 15 minutes of class.

Jax is finally over the stomach bug but mine is still bad. Cars got it sick on Saturday while we were in Vancouver. He kept saying "Mommy, tummy hurts! Doctor!" over and over again while clutching his stomach. We were down to our last diaper and luckily he was fine the last hour or so. I really did not think we would need more than 8 in 12 hours (plus I ripped the tabs off one). Dex and Stephen so far have been fine.

Tomorrow is Art Start in Dex's class so I spent much of today cutting out pieces for the kids to make this to carry home their snowman pot that they made last month. I had to get the supplies together for the morning class too - punching out over 600 circles for the mouth, eyes and flower for hatband. Yikes.

I also finished the necklace that I was commissioned to make. Re-finish I should say. I made it first last wee but the wire was too soft (I accidentally use .999 fine silver instead of .925 sterling silver.

This post is rambling so I will end it here... And I promise to update it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment