Monday, April 11, 2005

My therapist told me today that she thought I had a driving phobia because I told her of the anxiety I have when I even ~think~ about driving into Seattle. Um, no. I have a fear of dying on a bridge that spans water (floats on it really) and had been cited as a terrorist target. Not sure why that bridge scares me so. The other bridge (I-90) isn't so terrifying but it is much less practical to take unless I am going to the train station or some other south Seattle locale. The zoo, the car dealership, the Seattle Center and Pike Place Market all require me to take the 520 floating bridge and I hate it.

It started today with me fretting that I had no plans for Spring Break. I thought briefly about taking the kids to the zoo but then I got all nervous and upset. They love the zoo but I hate taking that damned bridge. It doesn't help that the bridge is one of the oldest floating bridges in the world. Or that during really bad storms they close it down because it has been known to lose its moorings.

Anyway, after thinking about taking the kids to the zoo my mood became really foul. I cannot believe what a huge issue this is for me. After talking to my therapist I have a few tools under my belt to help me cope with it and I am going to ~try~ to take the kids to the zoo without freaking out. I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment