Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Ok, so I don't have to be a detective to figure out that my trip to the dentist today was going to be a disaster. The clues were all there, it was just a matter of putting them together.

I had to have a cavity filled. The first clue was that Regular Dentist was not going to be in the office so they made an appointment for me with Alternate Dentist. My only experience with Alternate Dentist (who I guess is really my dentist's business partner and not from the Manpower Dentist Pool) in the past was an appointment last year when she lectured me about flossing on a regular basis (sorry but I have whacked flossing off my list).

Clue #2: The "virtual reality" movie glasses that they put on for me pinched my nose so much that I could not breathe so off they came (boo because I had chosen "Chocolat" so I could see yummy Johnny Depp).

Clue #3: Alternate Dentist numbs my mouth then tests to see if I still have feeling. Yep. So more novacaine or whatever it is that they inject into ones gums with that big freaking gun.

Clue #4: I panicked when they put this thing in my mouth to keep my tongue away from where they were working. I gagged then pushed it out with my tongue. I was so embarrassed.

Clue #5: Alternate Dentist fretting to the assistant that she needed more composite while filling the tooth. Then she commented four or five times that the filling was really, really deep.

Clue #6: The hour I spent in the chair after Alternate Dentist told me it would only take 30 minutes. I was the very last patient to leave the office today and the staff was just sitting around waiting and giving me odd looks because they ~knew~ something was not quite right.

So now, a few hours later, my face is unfrozen and has stopped itching (does that happen to anyone else?). I am in a lot of pain and am wondering just how early I can call Regular Dentist tomorrow morning.

Off to take some Tylenol (has anyone else read those scary stories about Ibuprofen lately??) then to bed. Oh, and I suppose I might floss my teeth if it saves me from another dental disaster and a meeting with Alternate Dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment