Thursday, March 04, 2010

Well, I did it. I went to my U.S. Citizenship interview and I passed.. I get to be an American! I will be sworn in next week. They would have done it today at 2pm but Stephen had a meeting at work (and it was about 8:45am when they told us) so we picked a day for next week.

The questions in the guide that they give you to study from are pretty simple but some are a bit tricky. I was given probably the six easiest questions of the 100 questions. I was asked the following questions:

What is the supreme law of the land?
What is an amendment?
What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
Who did the United States fight in World War II?
What is the capitol of our state?
Who signs bills into laws?

And the English portion of the test was super easy, of course. I had to write a sentence that the immigration officer spoke:

"The White House is in Washington D.C."

I imagine they make it very easy for non-native English speakers.

The immigration officer reviewed my application form to make sure that nothing had changed from the time I applied (November). My anxiety over the documentation for speeding tickets that I received 17 and 20 years ago was ridiculous because in the end, it was a non-issue.

Twice during my interview, Stephen's immigration officer interrupted to ask about when the best date for our swearing in would be. The first time I thought "well, this is premature" since I had not received the "pass" yet.

So next week I become an American. Then I need to figure out how to register to vote. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment