Tuesday, April 21, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?

Another glorious, sunny and warm day here. After I spent the morning with Cars' class (Reading Naturally then monitoring the computers during Reading Literacy times), I went to Fred Meyer and bought some veggies for the garden. I planted broccoli, walla walla onions, peas, egg plant and artichoke. I also planted seeds to grow carrots, cucumber, zucchini and green onion. I hope my garden grows this year!

Stephen is skeptical about the artichoke but even if it does not bear fruit, it does become a lovely looking plant (my neighbour always has them growing in her garden).

I am still waiting on a bid from a garden service to find out how much it would be to clear out all of our garden beds. Two quotes so far have come in within 10% of each other. One bid was very detailed and said it would be about 18 hours worth of work! I believe it. The beds are such a mess. The front are not so bad but the back are just overgrown with weeds and grass. Just a month of neglect (well, more than a month, I guess. I stopped weeding the gardens in August and our growing season really lasts until November and I haven't done too much weeding yet this year).

Both guys told me to rip out the bamboo. Interestingly enough, they both told me that I should sell it. One guy said I should just put an ad on craigslist and the other suggested that I could sell it to a local bamboo grower. I haven't decided which route to go yet.

Anyway, it will be nice to get the garden beds looking all neat again and for my veggie garden to grow. The raspberry patch has started to green up and I am looking forward to eating some good food right out of my backyard (if I can get over the fact that it is growing in steer manure).

No comments:

Post a Comment