Monday, February 16, 2009

Spoiler alert: Spy - stop reading here because I am going to talk about "The Middle Place"

I just finished reading The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. I originally heard of her book after seeing her "Transcending" video that was making the email rounds (you can see it by clicking on "The Middle Place" link). Anyway, the Transcending essay was wonderful and so I too had to pass it along. One of our book club members then decided to chose this book for our March meeting.

I loved this book! I felt as though she were sometimes writing about bits of my life because she captured a lot of the feelings I had so exactly. Like when I was called back for a second mammogram and then having to have a biopsy. Unlike Kelly, mine came back clear. But that short time, for those long excrutiating days waiting for the call, I felt that way too. And how she felt about her dad getting cancer and what needed to be done to treat him and trying to be so involved when you are a million miles away.

And finally, feeling as though she were not quite a grown up, even though she had a husband, a house and children. That is me! I think I liked that my parents still treated me like their daughter who needed them because it made me feel safe and secure and like nothing bad would happen or go wrong.

I cried and laughed my way through this book. I worry a bit about discussing it at book club because I feel that somehow I will not be able to precisely express my feelings about the book. I feel a little selfish about it right now. Like I want to guard the feelings and thoughts I have about the book but at the same time I want everyone I know to read it! I am sure that every woman, because she is a daughter, mother or wife, will somehow relate to parts of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment