Sunday, November 18, 2007

Suburban VS Rural

A few years ago, I had ordered a Christmas present that was being shipped to me via FedEx Ground (I then had to repackage and ship it to a friend in time for Christmas). I waited and waited and waited for the shipment but it was taking forever. I called FedEx to find out WTF was taking so long. They told me that they only deliver to my area three times each week because we were a "rural" area. Rural? Us?! No, we are a suburb of Seattle. We are not a rural area. Sure, Carnation or Duvall or North Bend are rural. Our city is not!

We have a lot of farms and acreages in our city but certainly that does not make us rural. In fact, our city was recently voted a top suburb to do business. They certainly would not have voted us that if we were a "rural" area!

So, since we are a suburb, can someone please tell the wildlife that? This morning I was awakened (or is it awokened - help me here Pley - which one is it?) at 5:30AM by the howling of a pack of coyotes. They howled on and on for about 5 minutes! It is funny, I never, ever heard coyotes when we lived up the hill (but I saw one not far from my house) but now that we live just 0.5 miles from the shopping area and one of the main intersections in the city, I live nearer to a pack of coyotes! What's next? Bears in my yard or a cougar on my porch? I hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment