Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Bookmarks

I have been thinking about the Bookmarks blog entry from Kross-Eyed Kitty. I love the idea that songs are the bookmarks in our lives because it is true. I have been thinking about it for a few days, trying to decide which bookmarks mean the most to me from the years. There really are too many to mention but I thought I might highlight a few:

1) Little Woman by Bobby Sherman. The seven year old boy down the street played this 45 over and over again while my mom and I were visiting for coffee. I asked my mom to buy it for me the next day (she did not).
2) Delta Dawn by Tanya Tucker. Belting it out in the backyard with Sandra R., standing on the stage (picnic table) and using lilac bunches as microphones.
3) Longfellow Serenade by Neil Diamond. Actually, many of the songs of this era by Neil Diamond. We used to spend Saturdays over at my aunt's house and she and my mom and Mrs. Argue The Drunk used to spend the afternoons drinking while we hung out (at the pool in the summer or in the basement in the winter). We would walk over to my aunt's house (about 5 kilometers) and my dad would come for dinner (always late) and drive us home.
4) Dedication by the Bay City Rollers. It was one of the first albums that I bought and I played it over and over and over again.
5) I have two of the same ones as Kross-Eyed Kitty for the same reasons too. Born to Be Alive by Patrick Hernandez and I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. Leah Ann loved BTBA and played it over and over again at her house (this was on the same recorder player that Neil Diamond records would spin). IWS reminds me of hours spent playing rummy in the stifling summer heat. And of course my sister making fun of Kross-Eyed Kitty mouthing the words to the song like she was Gloria Gaynor herself! ;)
6) The Tide Is High by Blondie. Two words - Cam F. Ok, I have to add more. This was always the song they played at roller skating when it was time for a backwards skate. I loved to watch Cam skate around backwards - he was the best roller skater in the whole arena and he knew it. Wow, I feel 14 again just thinking about it.
7) Should I Stay Or Should I Go? by The Clash. Sitting in the cafeteria at school during my brief "Mod" period. Wearing an army surplus jacket and carrying a canvass haversack.
8) Straight From The Heart by Bryan Adams. When I hear this song I will always think of Gord S. And I will always wonder why I ever let someone treat me so poorly. ( )
9) Alana Loves Me by Kim Mitchell. Of course with a few lyric changes. Instead of "Be Brave, Alana Loves Me", I always sing "Pea Brain, Stephen Loves Me!" (we briefly considered the name Alana when we were expecting Jax a decade later).
10) Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor. Break-up song. "Nuff said.
11) More Than Words by Extreme. Get back together song.
12) Into the Mystic by Van Morrison. Wedding dance song.
13) Mr. Jones by The Counting Crows. This song just reminds me so much of the time when I moved to the States and living in our tiny little newlywed apartment in Minneapolis.
14) All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow. I had finally received a work permit and got a job at IBM with a bunch of new college graduates. This song was our department's "theme" song although I felt way too old to be bopping around with them
15) Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin. This song was at the top of the charts when we moved to the Seattle-area. Jax would shake his little bootie to it (he was 14 months old) and shake his head all around and laugh the biggest belly laugh.

What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment