Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Summer O'Fun 2006 Day 8

Dex was invited to a playdate today so I dropped him off and he said he was nervous about going inside because they have a cat. Playmate's mom said there was nothing to be afraid of so off he went inside. Playmate's mom asked me to pick him up at 3pm. At 12:58, I received a call from her saying that he wanted to go home. I packed up all of the kids and went to pick him up. He had been crying and just kept saying he wanted to go home and that he didn't want to talk. Playmate's mom said "He was fine until I made pb&j sandwiches for lunch. He said he doesn't eat pb so I offered to make him a jelly sandwich but he said he would not eat". Then, just as we were to get into the car, she said "I guess there was something to be afraid of after all". Huh? Not sure if she was joking or not. I really do not know her ~that~ well.

Of course I realized that it was pb that had upset Dex but I wanted him to tell me. I asked him why he was so upset. He told me that he was afraid the pb at Playmate's house would make Jax ill and make him die.

[hanging head] Shit. I have made my six year old frightened of pb. I again reiterated to him that if he ever ate pb or peanuts, he must then carefully and thoroughly wash his hands and face so Jax would be safe. I thought he understood that but evidently he did not. I need to make sure that he understands what can and cannot hurt Jax.

In the meantime, we definitely need to reconsider playdates away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment