Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pneumonia

Cars has missed 5 days of school in a row now because he has been sick with pneumonia. I am not certain that he had it the first two days he was home sick with a fever, but on Friday when his fever spiked to 103.8F I figured it was time to go to the doctor.

She listened to his lungs and said she thought he had pneumonia but wanted an x-ray to confirm and sure enough he had it in his left lung.

So we left with a Rx for Augmentin (generic) and he started taking it around noon. A second dose at bedtime and I figured he would be feeling much better in the morning - although I knew he would not be well enough to play hockey. He was still very sick on Saturday and on Sunday he seemed like he had a bit more energy but was drained by dinner time. At 4:43AM Monday morning he sent me a text telling me he needed water. I checked his temp and it was still 102.4! Too high after being on antibiotics for 3 days.

Back to the doctor we went and this one (we saw two diff doctors at the clinic and neither was the 'regular' doctor whom my kids see) prescribed Ceftin because it comes in a liquid form. Cars cannot swallow pills and he has a terrible gag reflex. The drug tastes bad, she warned Cars but he was ok with that because it was a liquid.

I went to the pharmacy and it was $396!!!!!!!!!!! O.M.F.G. I accepted it because he needed it (and brought us that much closer to our deductible). I brought it home and it is so very thick and tastes so very bad. He got the first dose down very slowly but the second dose DH gave to him while I was at the gym. Cars had a hard time swallowing it and it went in his mouth, hit the back of his throat and it came out, along with his dinner.

So, I tried to get him to take another dose but he was so certain that he was going to throw up that he just stared at it and cried for 40 minutes before I gave up. I then gave him another dose of augmentin, thinking even if it weren't working well, it might be working a bit.

This morning, another dose of augmentin and I went to the pharmacy for ideas. She said I could dilute it in juice or apple sauce or yogurt.  We will see how it goes tonight. Keeping a bucket handy, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment