Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Jax was having problems with his math homework today and asked me for help.  I completely BAULKED because I do not remember any math beyond very simple algebra (Dex's grade 7 math is getting difficult for me).  However, we had a busy night planned and Stephen was going to be getting home late so I decided that I would turn to the internet for help so I could help Jax.

I went to www.khanacademy.org which is a great site for math. They offer FREE lessons on just about anything and their goal is "changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for anyone anywhere".  I first heard about the site from Ted Talks (http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html) and thought it sounded like a good idea.  I had Dex logging on from time to time to do some extra math work but then he got busy with REAL homework.  And I wanted Cars to do some too but he has required math homework on IXL.com and his time and results are sent to his teacher.

Anyway, so tonight I went to www.khanacademy.org to learn (or relearn) how to do The Substitution Method so I could teach Jax how to do it  so he could do his homework and study for his quiz tomorrow.  I am not sure why he did not understand it during math class today but after watching the videos with me and practicing, he is completely understanding it.  I even had Stephen watch the video so he could help Jax while I went out to take Dex to his bass lesson. 

It is a wonderful resource and I highly recommend that you check it out.  Especially if you have a high school student who needs help with math.

No comments:

Post a Comment