Saturday, March 07, 2015

Thank You For Being A Friend

So a couple of months ago I had a falling out with a friend. It stemmed from a fight with another friend and while I did not want to take sides, the friend with whom I've had the falling out was, in my opinion, less than honest about her intentions on one particular thing. I felt that if she could have just admitted that she was being a bitch or mean or whatever (because, who ISN'T like that sometimes? I know I am!) and she kept saying that I must not know her very well if I felt that she did it on purpose. Which I did but as I said, if she had just said "yeah, I was wrong and was being a bitch because I was hurt" or whatever I could look past it. We haven't really chatted at all since and I do miss her. But feel strongly that I need to hear that from her.
Friendships are funny, aren't they? I mean you can totally overlook someone's faults because you love them and value their friendship. And they do the same to you. And it is funny how some people are friends when they are complete opposites. Or how one can stay friends with a childhood friend, even if, 40 years on, you have nothing really in common.

And I find it interesting if we are friends with someone, we often defend them to others - almost to the death! Another friend is feeling that our group of friends are either for her or against her and I have been trying to tell her it is not a black or white situation and that we can disagree and still be friends. In the meanwhile, another friend in the same group complained about said friend and I felt affronted and felt that I needed to justify her behavior and defend her. I guess I was just trying to explain her reasoning or feeling and felt strongly that others should know and agree with me.

I have a lifelong friend who lives very far away and I consider her my BFF. If you looked at our lives, it would seem that we have nothing in common. I have kids, she does not, She has a successful career and I do not. She is pursuing a graduate degree and working fulltime and I am so in awe of her. I am a mousy little housewife in comparison. Yet, I know she and I will be close friends forever.

Anyway, I think I am just feeling nostalgic. Lots of reminiscing about my life in the past few months with my milestone birthday approaching and my mom coming undone.

Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment