Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

Today had to be the most boring Father's Day ever. We did nothing special but that is what Stephen wanted. The excitement of the day was a trip to Home Depot to get a few things. We had our front door painted and we needed a new kick plate (they do not carry 30" kick plates at Home Depot BTW), some long wood screws to hold our newly painted front door (apparently we were missing like 6 screws and the ones that were in were only an inch and a half long), a garden hose reel, dust pan for the garage, nails for the fence and a new register for the heating duct opening in the kitchen. BOR-ING!

But, we did have rib eye steaks for dinner with mashed potatoes and mushrooms sauteed in butter. Yes, we are missing vegetables from the menu (I think of potatoes as breads and no one ate the mushrooms but Stephen and I so there you go). I figure it will not kill the kids to not have a vegetable today. They ate lots of fruit (and leftover birthday cake) and took their vitamins so that's good enough, right?

Lots of activity at the hummingbird feeder the last couple of days. Actually, I think there is one aggressive hummingbird that keeps chasing the others away when they stop by to check it out. I am going to try to get some pictures of the activity.

And it was 8 years ago today (well, Father's day but the actual date is June 20th) that my dad passed away. I still miss him a lot and I wish he was around. I know he would get suck a kick out of my kids. He only met Jax (Jax was 14 months old when my dad died). Two days before he died, my dad was cracking up at Jax running in and out of the hospital room privacy curtain. I remember thinking that there was no way my dad was going to die any time soon because he was so perky that day! The next day, however, things were a little more somber. One of my cousins stopped by for a visit and when he left my dad shook his hand and said "I'll see you, Matt". I realized then that he was really saying "Good-bye, Matt". What a shock. I mean, I ~knew~ he was gravely ill and I ~knew~ he was going to die, but seeing that he knew it and knew it was going to be soon was still stunning. My dad died about 12 hours later.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment