Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dex started shaking his head a while back, as though he is trying to shake his hair out of his eyes (his bangs were long). We've had his hair cut yet he still does it. I asked him why and he said that his head hurt and shaking his head helped. I asked him about his head hurting and he says it hurts everyday. (EVERYDAY?!) I asked him why he did not tell me and he shrugged. So off we went to the pediatrician who said that the head shaking was probably just a tic. She suggested that we wait a few weeks to see if the head shaking goes away. I believe her words were "Tics can go away within 1-6 months".

I told her to please not take any offense but I just do not think that his head shaking is "just a tic". I asked her to remember back when he had a throat-clearing thing going on and we saw one of the other doctors in the practice who said it was "just a tic". I went back two weeks later and insisted that it was a sinus infection (which I originally had told them) and they put him on antibiotics and guess what? The throat clearing stopped. Just like the many other times he has had the throat-clearing thing. And now - this is not "just a tic" when he has headaches and he says that head shaking helps the headaches.

She asked me what I wanted to do then. She gave me the following options:
1) (again) waiting it out
2) getting a CT-scan
3) see a neurologist who "specializes" in tics

{banging head against wall}

So, I left with a referral to the neurologist and I figure that is the most proactive thing to do. Of course we cannot get in to see him until mid-July. The tic thing still does not explain or address the headaches. Hopefully we'll have some answers in, what - 8 weeks?!

No comments:

Post a Comment